If you are like many of us who have already dipped our cars, then you must also see the value of this groundbreaking service. Plasti Dip (Dipping) is the fastest growing trend in the automotive industry right now, and has been leading the charge since 2010. This service allows you to save on average $3,000 over a custom paint job. Our wraps start at $500($400 Flourecent Special) so that's a real savings of over 80% if you factor in that most quality paint jobs will run you upwards of $3,500.
Plasti Dip is a rubber based paint that cures into a rubber/plastic film that can be peeled off when you want to remove it. It is considered vinyl's little brother, at half the price. Vinyl wraps are very nice, but extremely expensive due to the amount of time required to wrap a car. Most of the cost is due in part to labor fee's. Dipping, on the other hand, is sprayed on like paint so it takes much less time, and turns out looking very close to a custom paint job due to the atomization of the paint from the spray gun. Dipping is an excellent alternative to paint and vinyl, and has the luxury of being removable if you ever need or want to revert back to your stock finish. A Plasti Dip wrap can be completely peeled from a car in about an hour. Paint is permanent, and I would rather take my chances swimming with sharks while bleeding than to take the time peeling a vinyl wrap from a car.
Below is a detailed explanation of the dipping process that DMW follows for every vehicle that comes into our shop for a dip:
1. Once the customer has chosen the color he/she would like to dip their car from our website, a DMW Rep will send a paint deposit request to be paid via PayPal, or payment can be made on our website at the "pricing and color chart" tab. Paint deposit is $200 for a full wrap, and $70 for any other dip service to include rims, grille, etc. Remaining balance will be due upon completion of the dip.
2. Once the deposit has been received, a CandyDippedCars Rep will call the customer to schedule an appointment. Appointments will usually be at least a few days away because it takes 3 days for dip to arrive as all dip is special order. Due to the amount of dip required per car, it is not feasible to maintain an on-hand inventory due to the wide assortment of colors that are available. Every vehicle requires between 3-7 gallons of dip, depending on size, pearls, and finish desired. We just don't have the space to store all that dip.
3. Once dip has arrived, we inspect your vehicle and start a 5 stage wash process to cleap any areas that were not washed by the customer before dropping off. **We require all customers to wash their vehicles with soap before dropping off to the shop.** Stage 1 is a full wash using a mild soap (Dawn). In Stage 2 we wash the cars again in a 1:64 mix of simple green for the cars and a 1:1 mix for rims. In stage 3 we wipe the whole car down with denatured alcohol. In Stage 4 we wipe down the vehicle thoroughly with a special "Pre-Dip" spray that removes all the impurities from your original paint for maximum adhesion of the Plasti Dip. The final stage 5 is the dry phase where we blow dry your car for up to 30 minutes to get all of the moisture out of every nook and cranny, very like at the end of an auto wash.
4. After the 5 stage cleaning, all external aftermarket items are removed from the vehicle such as brush guards, bug deflectors, fender flares, spoilers, etc. This is to ensure every part of the vehicle is properly covered with Plasti Dip, we leave no exterior spots untouched (except for door jams). Once removed, we then begin our masking process and tape over window trim and any other areas we do not want dip spray to touch.
5. After masking is complete, we are now ready to apply our first coat of dip with our professional paint spray system specifically designed for Plasti Dip. We apply from a minimum of 6 coats of a standard base(Compact Car with a single standard color) up to 14 or more depending on pearls and shine selected to ensure maximum durability and thickness. We allow approx 20 minutes of dry time in between each coat as Plasti-Dip dries must faster than ordinary paint. Once all coats have been applied, the vehicle is now ready to cure in our shop. After 4+ hours curing in the shop, the vehicle is ready for the road, but we recommend waiting a full week before washing the vehicle or driving on the highway, if at all possible. This will give the wrap time to fully cure and harden. At highway speeds, the uncured wrap can be suseptible to minor debris damage from small rocks being kicked up by Semi's, etc. Also, we try our hardest to complete vehicles within a 48 hour timeframe because we know people cannot be without their car/truck for long due to work, etc. There will be occasions where we cannot meet this time limit, especially for custom jobs that require mixing pearls, two tones, etc, but we ask for your cooperation and flexibility as this is not an easy, quick process.
Hopefully this answered many of your questions about the dipping process and if you need a better explanation of something or if you have a question that was not answered above, feel free to call us any time at 540-522-7404. We also have added a FAQ section below and will continue to update as needed, Thanks!
Q: Where is your shop located?
A: We are located on Boston Dr, in Boston Virgina 22713. We are about 8 miles from Old Town Culpeper. If we do not have a vehicle scheduled, then we are usually not at the shop for that day. Schedualed apointments are recommended, please eMail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can assist you with any questions you may have.
Q: How long does Plasti Dip last?
A: Plasti Dip will last 3 years or longer. If its washed regularly and a UV protectant spray is added after each wash, it will dramatically prolong the life of the dip.
Q: Do you offer a warranty?
A: Yes, we offer a 90 day warranty in the event that any peeling, bubbling, etc, occurs to the wrap due to trapped moisture underneath the dip during the prepping process. We will repair any of these situations at no cost to you. For warranty to be honored the repair needs to occur ASAP while the area affected is original. If you atempt to repare it yourself and damage or end up pealing a whole panel the warrenty is VOID. The warranty does not cover any scratches, tears, etc, incurred by the customer as a result of an accident. We may be able to fix accidental damage to the wrap for a fee, in most instances no more than $50. For larger damage we can peel off the affected panel and re-spray with new dip within a couple hours. Larger damage will be a case by case.
Q: How much does it cost to dip my vehicle?
A: Please refer to our pricing chart on our website by clicking this link: http://candydippedcars.com/Prices/ Prices are broken down by vehicle size.
Q: Why do you require a dip deposit?
A: A dip deposit is required because we block an entire day, 24 hour period, per customer to properly dip there car and to let it cure in our shop over night and bake in at 80 degrees. If we scheduled an appointment for a customer and they no showed, we just lost an entire days work. The paint deposit serves two purposes: to order the custom paint for the customer, and to ensure the customer shows for his/her appointment because the deposit is non-refundable once the dip is ordered.